Friday, January 14, 2011

There is a first time for everything...


I'm going to admit it.
I have an addiction.

To food.

They really need to have an FA meeting for people like me...
(foodaholics annonymous)

So today, I had a craving for sourdough bread.
I decided to make some.

Unfortunately, making sourdough bread takes a little longer than I thought.
So I have to wait 3 days for my sourdough to be ready.
SQUIRREL!
(no seriously... there was just a squirrel outside my apartment window.)

Here's the bread.
Well... the start of the bread.


(I figured out the hard way that when they said medium sized bowl...
they really meant it!
My start tried to escape over the sides of the bowl.
And intervention was needed... :P)

At least I know that the yeast was working right? haha.

Here's the recipe I used.
It comes from The Breadman's Healthy Breadbook... I don't have that kind of bread maker, but I found the book at a thrift store and since I can't get enough of recipes... I had to buy it.

Sourdough Starter
(makes 2 cups)
2 cups warm water (100 degrees)
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 tablespoon honey
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

Put the water, yeast and honey in a medium mixing bowl. Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes. Stir until the yeast dissolves. Stir in the flour and beat until smooth. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 2 to 5 days, stirring occasionally. The longer the starter stands, the stronger the flavor. The starter will bubble and a sour smelling liquid may form on top. This is normal for a healthy starter, so simply pour the liquid off and discard.
To store the starter, pour it into a sterilized crock or jar. (To sterilize, pour boiling water into the container, let stand 5 minutes, drain and dry well.) Cover and refrigerate the starter in a jar until ready to use.
To use the starter, stir and pour off as much as required.
To feed the starter, use or remove and discard 1 cup of starter. Add equal amounts (about 1 cup each) of flour (the same kind as originally used) and warm water. Stir and let stand at room temperature until it bubbles again, about 30 minutes, then cover and refrigerate.
To keep the starter from turning rancid, use, or discard, at least 1 cup of the starter every week, then feed it as described above. The starter may be frozen. Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours before using. After thawing, pour off as much as required and feed the remainder as described above.

I want to try this recipe: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/san-francisco-sourdough-bread/Detail.aspx and this one looks like it has some very yummy recipes too! http://www.sourdoughhome.com/recipes.html
I have a sourdough coffee cake recipe... which is really good!
I won't get you too excited just yet though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today I am thankful for my hair.
Even though it is not cooperating with me.
And I am still thankful for the snow.
Even though it makes my hair all frizzy.

No comments:

Post a Comment