Thursday, January 13, 2011


Yes. I know. I can't do anything consistently.

That IS why this blog has its very particular name.
Just in case you didn't get that memo.

BUT I did do something very exciting! I crocheted my first cowl!
I think it turned out pretty fantastic.
Not to toot my own horn or anything... ;)

By the way. I am not a model.
Just to avoid any confusion you might be having concerning my um... skills.
Talk about AWKWARD!

This little beauty is from a pattern I found when I was trying to decide what to do with a massive amount of yarn that I have been accumulating over the past several years (no joke!)... I followed the pattern pretty much exactly, but I just ended it early, so it isn't quite as full as the one in the pattern. I also just used super saver yarn that I bought at walmart (I doubled the strands to make it more bulky) AND I TELL YOU WHAT! This thing is a B.E.A.U-TIFUL thing! Especially in the ridiculously cold weather of late.

Everyone I know is jealous of my cowl.
*Smug grin*
And mustard yellow?!
How much more awesome and sunny can you get???
It makes me super happy on this cold, grey day.
(It snowed ALL day...)
Dear sun, I miss you. Can we hang out again soon?

And now for the main event!

Convertable Cowl
Materials:
plymouth yarn baby alpaca grande (110yds)
220 yds, 2 skeins in your choice of color
yarn needle
10mm (N) hook
stitch marker

Overview.
You will be crocheting in the round.
You will join but not turn.
Mark the beginning of each row with a row marker.

Guage:
If working with a different yarn than recommded, make sure that your beginning chain will fit over your head leaving plenty of extra room. Remember that you want your cowl to be loose enough to pull up as a hood and still give plenty of coverage around your neck.

Steps:
Chain 55 and join with a sl st into back of chain (do not twist chain).
Row 1: Ch 1, (working in back of chain) Sc in same Ch as joining. Mark stitch. Sc in each chain around and join to marked stitch (do not twist chain).
Row 2: Ch 2, (counts as first Dc), skip st and Dc in each Sc around. Join with sl st to top of Ch 2. (55 Dc)
Row 3: Ch 1, (counts as first Hdc), skip st and Hdc in each around. Join with sl st to top of Ch 1. (55 Hdc)
Row 4: Ch 2, (counts as first Dc), skip st and Dc in each Hdc around. Join with sl st to top of Ch 2. (55 Dc)
Rows 5-6: Repeat row 4
Row 7: Repeat row 3
Row 8: Repeat row 4
Row 9: Ch 1, Sc in each Dc around. Join with sl st to Ch 1.
Rows 10-17 repeat rows 2-9
Rows 18-23 repeats rows 2-7
Fasten off.

I actually just went to row 15 or 16... I didn't want mine to get too big and bulky.
It's perfect for wearing on top of a shirt and it still fits inside of a jacket and keeps my neck nice and cozy warm!


-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to think about what I am thankful for this year!
Today I am thankful for snow. And for hot chocolate and thick socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment