Saturday, January 8, 2011


Oh what do you do on a Saturday, when it's snowy and cold and you are a college student that defies conventional belief that all students should be starving and have a ridiculous amount of food???
You bake.
And you bake even more.
Realizing today that I had forgotten my promise to make one of my friends a cake for his birthday, my roommate and I rushed to remedy the situation. And what did we find in my cupboard? A box of orange cake mix. Yum? We did not know.
But we were going to find out.
So we threw cupcakes in the oven (in my roommate's brand-new silicon reusable muffin cups - BRILLIANT invention if you ask me...) and we moved on to deciding what kind of frosting we wanted to grace the tops of the mysterious tasting orange cupcakes.
We decided that raspberry would work well.

And oh, how well it did work!
(and I failed on taking pictures...)

BUT. We do know for a fact that they WERE GOOD! Because we left the apar
tment for 15 minutes, and came back to find every single one of the cupcakes devoured.
Who could it have been?

The roommate that never seems to leave her room?
The people that seem to come and go from our apartment like the ebb and flow of the tides?
Or maybe the random kid that is sitting at the counter with pink icing covering his face and crumbs on his shirt?
...This one is gonna be tricky...

Just so you can try this goodness for yourself: (by the way, it was not the orange cake mix that made these so fantastic...)

RASPBERRY BUTTERCREAM ICING
*Add fresh raspberries to a classic buttercream frosting and brighten both the flavor and the color of your favorite layer cake or cupcake recipe (yield 2.5 cups)
Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, softened (we discovered that completely melting the butter WAS NOT what "softened" means)
1/2 cup fresh raspberries (we used raspberry jam... YUM-O!)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 (16-oz) package powdered sugar
Preparation
1. beat the first 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy
(AND GUESS WHAT??? IT WAS MY FIRST TIME USING MY ELECTRIC MIXER AND THE FIRST TIME I HAVE EVER ACTUALLY HAD AN ELECTRIC MIXER IN MY APARTMENT!!! ...yes... I am kind of excited about this...)
2. gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended and smooth after each addition
(note: be sure to wash and thoroughly dry raspberries before adding
to frosting... not a problem if you use jam!)
3. EAT and BE MERRY! (cuz you might actually die because of the awesomeness of this icing...)

Ok... so it's killing me that i don't have a picture of what we made... but i'll include this picture just so that you get a little bit of an idea as to how magnificent this was...

Again, this is not my picture... (I am a poor college student... do you seriously think I would have cute table settings like that?)
But it was that good.

I dare you to try some.
I double dog dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment